Monday, January 09, 2012

Making a Camera Strap Cover

Everyday, I hop around the internet from blog to blog.  Tonight, I happened across Cindylouh's post that shows how to make a camera strap cover.  I had seen several tutorial's for camera straps covers before, but they never really caught my interest.  Actually, I was convinced that Mikey wouldn't be interested in a camera strap cover.  Since I've recently found the charger for my smaller Nikon {Nikon Coolpix P100}, I decided to try one for this camera.

Photobucket
Some of the supplies.  I also used the sewing machine, a tape measure,  and green thread.

It was actually much simpler than I thought it would be.  The hardest part was definitely turning the strap cover inside out.  I almost gave up, but I persevered.  I'm glad that I did.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I didn't take as many photos during as I thought I would.  Once I got started, I was so focused on sewing straight lines that I just forgot about the camera, even though it was sitting right beside me. My lines probably could have been straighter, but it works for me.  Overall, I like the strap cover.  It's a little shorter than I wanted it to be.  That's because I used pre-cut fabric that I had stashed.  I didn't have fusible light fleece interfacing either, so I just used what I had, which is quilt batting.  It was a little more messy to work with, but it worked for me. I also didn't iron the finished product.  I kind of like the puffy look.  I can feel how the strap cover helps cushion the weight of the camera.  I'm planning to make one for our Nikon D5000 too now that I've made this first one.   It's heavier than the Coolpix, so any relief is welcome. I think I'm going to make it reversible, just so I'll have options.  Now I just have to find fabric.

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

BF said...

Nice, looks comfortable! I want to make a camera strap. I saw one on Instagram recently and loved it. Just don't have a sewing machine, but one day!