Friday, January 06, 2012

The List

I have seen many bucket list type lists online.  I have even tried the 101 Things in 1001 Days list.  That's a lot of things to think of for a list.  I quit long before the 1001 days were over. As a matter of fact, I still have time before that list should be complete.  I've also seen the # by # birthday bucket lists.  Those seem a little more manageable.  So here is mine.  Thirty things that I would like to accomplish before my thirtieth birthday.  In no particular order.

1. Fly first class.  I have flown before, but it was coach.  I would like to just once see what the fuss is about first class flying.

2. Visit San Francisco.  For some reason San Francisco stands out as someplace I would like to visit.

3. Learn to swim.  I am ashamed to say that I don't know how to swim.  I want my kids to be able to swim, and I realize that I need to know how to swim also.

4. Write a children's book.  Even if I just have one printed for Micah.

5. Run a 5K.  I am not athletic in any way, but I would like to be. Running a 5K seems like a reasonable goal to get started.

6. Read the Bible from cover to cover.  I think this one is pretty self explanatory.

7. Take a photography course.  I would like to learn to use my camera in manual mode.

8. Go on a road trip. Make at least 4 planned stops.  This does not include potty breaks, snack breaks, etc.

9. Put my feet in the Pacific Ocean. I've visited the Pacific Ocean before, but somehow I didn't touch it.

10. Have a monthly home date night.  Once a month have a date night at home.  Watch a movie, play card games, picnic in front of the television, etc.

11. Go to a drive-in movie. I have fond memories of going to the drive-in movies as a child. I would love to relive the memories.

12. Complete a wardrobe challenge. Since I'm on a shopping hiatus, I may as well figure out how to use what I've got. And because this is my 30 before 30 list, I'm going to attempt the Kendie's 30 for 30 challenge.  It's pretty simple.  Use 30 clothing items to create 30 outfits.

13. Go on a dinner cruise.  I've done this before, but would love to do it again.

14. Go mini-golfing.  I've never been mini-golfing.  I think this needs to be remedied.

15. Go ice-skating.  I've never been ice skating either.  I know how to roller skate, though.

16. Take dance lessons.  I'm not sure what type of dance, but I want to learn something.  Ballroom?  Latin?

17. Learn to sew.  More like learn to sew well enough to make my own dress.  I can sew a straight line, and I've made quilts, but nothing with a pattern.

18. Go natural.  I am growing my relaxer out.  My hair is not healthy. I am going to go natural to get to healthy hair.

19. Explore Atlanta like a tourist.  I want to do all the tourist things like Six Flag Over Georgia, the Georgia Aquarium, Zoo Atlanta, World of Coca-Cola, Stone Mountain Park, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site.  

20. Angel Tree.  I want to adopt a child or children from the Angel Tree program.  There seem to be several organizations that host Angel Trees, like here and here.  There's also local programs as well.

21. Go to a book signing.  I love to read.  I don't really have a favorite author, but I would love to go to a book signing.

22. Pay for someone's meal behind me in the drive thru.  Fast food is generally not an expensive meal. I think it would be fun to gift someone with a meal.  Even if it's just fast food.

23. Give a 100% tip.  Granted this would only be for the most awesome service.  I am a subscriber to the awesome tips for services that are above and beyond.  I have worked in the service industry before, and I hate servers who act like you are inconveniencing them because you expect reasonable service.

24. Be able to touch my toes.  My intention is to be able to do this without bending my knees.  I have lost any semblance of flexibility.

25. Send a random care package.  For absolutely no reason, choose someone who is not expecting anything from me, and send them a care package.  This will probably be a child.  I always loved getting mail as a child.  Besides that kids stuff is so fun.

26. Go for a Sunday drive / Day Trip. I like visiting new places.

27. Have a pamper me day.  I'm talking manicure, pedicure, massage, new outfit, fancy dinner, night out.  I used to treat myself to these types of things all the time.  Not so much anymore.

28. Go tailgating.  I would prefer to tailgate at a South Carolina football game, but any college or national football game will do.  Bonus points if I attend the game, as well.

29. Host a giveaway on my blog.  First I would have to build up followers.  I know some of my family visit the blog regularly, but if I want more than a handful of people entering, I need more followers.

30. Give birth to baby # 2.  Or be pregnant.  This one is not solely up to me.  Mikey does get some say in the decision.  But I would like to either at least be working on a second child by the time I'm thirty, since I want my children to be relatively closely spaced.

There you have it, my thirtieth birthday bucket list.  And just in case something on my list is impossible to complete, I'm giving myself substitute items.

*****

Substitute/Bonus Items

a. Own a pair of absurdly expensive shoes. I'm thinking Louboutin's, Jimmy Choo's, Manolo's. 

b. Learn to crochet or knit.  I would love to be able to knitor crochet hats, scarves, and other fun things.

c. Meet someone famous.  This means actually talking to the person, not just seeing them from a distance.  I want an autograph or a picture or something.

d.  Learn to speak another language. At least semi-fluently.  I took Spanish in high school for three years, and four courses in college.  I still can't hold a conversation, even haltingly, in Spanish.  I am sad.

e. Get CPR certified.  With children, you can never be too safe.

f. Ride a mechanical bull.  Just because I think it would be fun.

g. Stay at a bed and breakfast. I have wanted to stay at a B&B for a while now.  There's something about them that just seems so quaint and restful.

h. Go to a music concert.  I've only been to one concert before, and I had a great time.

The goal is to complete these items before my thirtieth birthday which is July 28, 2013.  That gives me roughly a year and a half to complete the list.  I also plan to start another birthday bucket list when this one is complete.  Hopefully, I will complete the entire list.  But just in case I don't, the incomplete items will transfer to my 35 by 35 list.  Why don't you join in the fun?  Create your own birthday bucket list.  Any suggestions for items to add to my next birthday bucket list.

No comments: